Tuesday, March 30, 2010

let's start a religion

I am a terrible liar.

Well, that is probably not accurate. I think I am a pretty good lair, I just choose to almost never lie.

I have no moral compunction against telling a tie, I see no reason that your are in any way entitled to the truth from me. I don't owe you anything.

The reason I don't lie is because I don't see you as worth the time or effort it would take me to lie to you. Most of the time there is no reason for me to even speak to you. Assuming I find some reason to speak to you, I am sure as hell not going to put in the effort to lie to you. I just don't love you that much.

The point is, I lack the most fundamental of qualifications to start a religion. I have no interest in raising my game as a lair to the levels achieved by profits like Jesus, Moses, Mohammad, John Smith (he really should have come up with a cooler name), or L. Ron Hubbard.

As such, I always though the vocation of prophet-hood would be closed to me. Turns out I was premature in that assumption. I have figured out a way I can be the major prophet of my own religion, and I don't have to lie to anyone!

So I submit for your approval, the major tenants of Uncle Hateyism (this name is still under review. I'm a big ideas man, and as such I can not be bothered with the common drudgery of naming my own religion.)

  1. There is no evidence for the existence of any supernatural God.
  2. All known religions falsely claim some sort of divinely inspired knowledge of God.
  3. Humanity is possessed of enough facility of reason to deduce that both point 1 and point 2 are true.
  4. If there exists a God, he has gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure that all above points are true.
  5. Given points 1-4, it is safe to assume that if God exists he does not want Humanity to believe in him.
So I'll be basing my religion on those major tenants. I might just narrow them down to #5, as I assume anyone with any sort of intelligence already understands one though four.

There is still a lot of work to do. I still need to write a holy book, or at least get a good start on one. Of course the pressure is really off on that one; I mean we've already established that my holy book can not be divinely inspired, so the quality of writing does not have to meet the high levels of quality prose already established by the religions based on actual gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment